Home     What's New     Showcase     Workshop     Products     About Testor     Search     Links

 
Avia S-99

by Jim Baker


Description

Here is my 1/48 scale Avia S-99, based on the old very nice Monogram Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10 kit.

The Germans were originally producing the Bf-109G-10 in Czechoslovakia towards the end of the war, and when the war ended the Czechs simply picked up production where the Germans left off. There were only a few S-99s built before the warehouse holding the Daimler-Benz engines burned to the ground and necessitated the adaptation of the Bf-109G airframe to take the Junkers Jumo engines originally intended for He-111 bombers, resulting in the nasty S-199 which everyone immediately hated.

Since the factory that produced these airframes was originally German, I applied German colors throughout. I painted the cockpit and wheel wells RLM66 -- mainly because I didn't feel like cleaning out my airbrush to spray RLM02 on the wheel wells. Per the instructions, I painted the airplane RLM77 under RLM75, and the red parts are RLM23 Red, all Polly-Scale colors (actually, to be completely honest, I couldn't find any Polly-Scale RLM77 and a friend told me that Light Ghost Grey would work fine, so I used that -- it looks good enough to me). Breaking from the German tradition (and because I have no sources for Czech fighters), I did paint the propeller black.

The Tally Ho! decals went on flawlessly. A half-solution of Solvaset and water makes the decals snuggle right into the surface beautifully. After gloss-coating the model with Polly-Scale Gloss, I applied first the white surrounds and the tail insignia, and then once that was mostly set up I applied the red parts of the codes. I then sliced the panel lines with a hobby knife and applied a little more setting solution to make the decals set into the panel lines. After the codes were on, I applied the rest of the small decals.

A little Polly-Scale Flat -- the best flat coat on the planet -- and the decals were finished.

And then the rest of the build, which of course went basically perfectly since it's the Monogram kit!

More Pictures

Click the thumbnails to view larger pictures:

Home     What's New     Showcase     Workshop     Products     About Testor     Search     Links

 

Copyright 2006 by Jim Baker & The Testor Corporation